Pure Dance Works Dress Code
Apparel Open House
- Tuesday, August 15 & Wednesday, August 16, 2017 from 5:00-8:00 PM
- All students enrolled in fall classes. Three to six year olds are encouraged to come on the 15th and ages 7+ on the 16th. But students are welcome to come either evening!
- Purchase required apparel for fall classes. We will provide the required leotards, tights, and shoes for class available to purchase or order. Bring your child along to be fitted!
- Pure Dance Works, 12844 Coldwater Road, Suite D, Fort Wayne, IN 46845
Dress Code Click here to view dress code requirements by class
How important is a dress code in dance class?
In addition to saving dance parents time and money, the dress code:
1) Helps a young dancer understand they are going to a structured class (compared to unstructured playtime).
2) Unifies dancers, helping them to understand that they are part of something bigger than themselves.
3) Ensures that the clothing is not a distraction during class.
4) Ensures that the dancer is appropriately dressed to be necessarily covered.
5) Ensures that each dancer has the same brand, style and color of shoes and tights for on stage performances.
The PDW Dress Code is mandatory; however, occasionally dancers will be rewarded with days when they may wear whatever they choose to class.
Personal Items (All Classes)
- Only small piercings are acceptable in class. No other jewelry is allowed for safety.
- Hair always needs to be in a bun for ballet; all other classes may have a bun, pony tail or braid(s)....as long as all hair is secured off the face and neck. No extravagant hair accessories are permitted, please.
- No underwear or bras that show, please. Traditionally, a leotard is worn without underwear or bras, like a swimsuit (even pre-schoolers). If desired, we advise dancers to wear nude dance briefs. Most leotards are supportive enough that a bra is not needed underneath. If you do require a bra under a leotard, even if it is a sports bra, it MUST NOT SHOW. Consider investing in a nude dance bra.
- We do not allow bare legs with leotards.
- Warm ups such as leg warmers and sweaters may be worn to and from class, but must be removed after the warm up portion of class is over.
- Dance shoes should never be worn outside.
SUMMER CLASSES - Dress code is relaxed for the summer.
- Any leotard, tights (pink for ballet, pink or tan for all other styles) and dance shoes appropriate for the style of dance may be worn.
- Shoes must be leather or canvas (no satiny bedtime / dress-up ballet slippers please :).
- Hair must be in a bun for ballet; all other styles may wear a bun or pony tail with all hair secured off of the face and neck.
- In non-ballet classes students may wear solid black shorts or leggings over their leotard if desired.
- Ballet classes for ages 7+ may wear a short ballet skirt with their leotard if desired.
- No warmups of any kind (leg warmers, sweaters, etc.) are allowed after the warm up portion of class is complete.
- Traditionally tights to function as underwear; if choosing to wear underwear, they may not show, even in pre-school classes.
- Students needing additional support under their leotard must choose dance bras that do not show.
- Only small pierced jewelry is allowed in class for safety.
- Summer dress code for boys remains the same, except a plain white t-shirt may be worn in place of a PDW t-shirt.
Email any apparel questions to email@example.com.